Saturday 27 July 2013

my thoughts for today

Why is it that writing is so difficult?

A simple enough question but the answer is anything but. I wake with the intention of doing three to four hours of constructive and meaningful work. I have the ideas I simply need to write but I am drawn to the various sites I have up and running.
First of all I check e-mails from the previous night. That takes an hour sometimes more answering questions and taking orders from those lovely readers who continue to order the book Dead Men Lie. Then i have to spend time deleting myriad of multiple postings from G+ not that what you say isn't interesting but i seem to get the same ones multiple of times and as yet i haven't learnt how to delete apart from clicking on each one to delete. Then I check this blog site to deal with anything that has arisen before finally checking the website for the figures of views and visits. Speaking of which since the Stelling Minnis fair we have seen a sharp upturn in visits to the web pages. it has to be co-incidental as the majority are coming from Holland and Ireland welcome to you all though Canterbury did see a sharp upturn in numbers for a day or two. This months visits are about to top the 400 for the first time. Not that bad for a site that has only been live for a year.

 So that takes up about an hour perhaps two and now i can begin writing? No the sun is up and i am dispatched to the plot to pick raspberries 30lb so far this season and still they come, strawberries did very well as have red and black currants. Add into the mix the beans and peas we picked and now the cherries it is all hands to the pump so to speak. We are still digging first potatoes but they have gone past the sweet small ones i prefer now we are storing for the winter. Cauliflowers are coming along nicely in fact if it continues for another few weeks as it is we should have more than enough to see us through even the harshest of winters. Mrs P is busy making her jams and chutnies while I will be wine making in a few weeks the grape crop looks especially good this year.

 Once back i desire some me time but the weather is too good to be stuck indoors and i have work to be getting on with outdoors. We have a drive to lift and relay which needs to be done in the next week or so. Lunch time approaches and still words remain unwritten the afternoon looks good but even that slips away as skype messages need replying to as do letters and requests for visits. the evening now draws in and another day has drifted away from me. My summer days are long and fruitful but how i long for winter where with the fire stoked up i can settle in and write uninterrupted for hours on end.

 Speak soon my friends i have a small window of silence and i might even get chapter seventeen written today if i am lucky.

      

1 comment:

  1. keep it up David. I like your post. I have a garden to this coming along. I have still to buy your book what plans do so. Enjoy your summer!

    ReplyDelete