Sunday 17 November 2013

A new look at what I do.


    For those who still have to listen to what I said in conversation with Kori Miller here is the link again.
                                           
                  http://www.blogtalkradio.com/backporchwriter

                  Those who have heard it have been in the main positive but make up your own mind
                                                 
 So what's so new about this as opposed to all my other ramblings? Not much really except eventually I have come to realise that social networking sites are pretty useless for promoting anything new. Those who have read my blogs in the past, will know that I do not do pretty pictures of cats and dogs, they bore me witless. Nor do I like being told what I must do or like by, to be fair people with lot more time on their hands than I have. Unfortunately, there does also appear to be an influx of religion on some sites, now if that's your bag so be it but such things leave me cold. Not that I do not believe in a spiritual deity but I will go there if and when I desire it, not every Sunday when someone deems it there life's work to throw it down my throat.

What, you may be asking, has provoked yours truly into, once again, launching himself into such a tirade. Not much really, well yes there was, in fact I got pretty cheesed of that few of my so called friends commented about my latest promotional escapade. Few said well done, even fewer commented about the content, while one mentioned the five minutes that Korri spoke and said nothing at all about the interview. Is my ego deflated yes it is, am I concerned a little, I did expect just a little reaction.

Why did this happen? well I suppose one of two reasons, either it was as boring as hell or no one actually tuned in. Am I surprised, well no not really. I have come to realise that there are simply too many authors vying for attention, too many chasing that same elusive dream....recognition. Take any social networking site, they are filled with authors extolling the virtues of their latest story. I, and most likely all of us, skip through them only glancing at those that catch my eye. While I have mentioned so many times that I disagree completely with the concept of free giveaways. I cannot see the sense, or for that mater the economical viability of doing this. A few days of notoriety leads nowhere and your books are then reviewed by tight fisted readers who can't even spend a few pennies to read the work you have slaved over for months.

 Therefore I have decided that something needs to change if dead Men Lie is to receive the credit it deserves. I allowed various people to read the new reformatted and re worked edition. I have slaved away doing what was suggested, it is now slicker more refined. Also I will no longer be wasting hours per day frantically watching what, if anything people, say about me or my work. I no longer care if they think I am useless or if the book stinks, it is my work, my story, as such I will be pouring all that time and energy into promoting the book. Authors rarely, if ever, read other authors work, so what is the point of flogging those sites. I need readers and somewhere long the way I appear to have forgotten that concept.      

Therefore if I have something to say I will say it here. At lest you my loyal followers do so because you wish to be a part of my world. I will, as of now, attempt to keep you informed, if not every day then at least twice a week. I will post what is new and what is happening with both myself and the books I write. More importantly you will be the first to know when the 'You Tube' promo goes live. I am working on it, it won't be that slick, in fact it might be pretty rubbish. The reason is I do not have untold thousands to spend but it will be me. I will do my best and that is all I can offer, you will always get honesty from me, I won't give you loads of crap and say this is great when it isn't. That's why, when I made a mistake, I was the first to admit it, to hold my hands up and tell you that I had submitted the wrong edition for publication. That's why we are offering to replace those editions with new copies to anyone who wants them ( mind you remember that those crap copies may eventually be worth something)

 We are going to the Kent Show, in 2014 where the new re-launch will happen, attend if you can, don't if you can't be bothered but I will be there and would be pleased to meet as many as possible.

 This is the premise of my new advertising campaign, honesty, no bullshit. Which is why, hopefully you will believe me when I tell you that this new edition of DEAD MEN LIE is absolutely brilliant and that you should all buy a copy and find out for yourselves.  

 Oh by the way, as and when I have the time, I will post a few of my short stories. I intend to make them into a book for next Christmas so keep a few quid in reserve for that.

 Cheers D

 More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment