Sunday 2 March 2014

An eternal question

Good morning one and all

   Yet again I have been remiss in contributing here, fact is I have been stuck in a maelstrom of events, some of which sucked me in then spat me out but more of that later.

 Dead Men Lie, my book, did you know I had written a book Oh that's good glad the word has got out, continues to  become known around the world. the web site continues to grow despite a mega blip last month. Hard lesson learnt there, best not to trust all that you read about bright shiny new sites. Cost me money and time to end up back where I was. Only good point was the elimination of the glitch which had affected the old site, so perhaps some good did come from my time away.

I also joined a group in which a small group were supposed to review each others books. A noble sentiment which if it had delivered might have proofed effective. I felt, a week into the group that it was a group dedicated to self acclamation and that selfies weren't to be tolerated but hay who hasn't been decried for our efforts I know I have.

I also read a piece which decries the act of giving away free copies of books. At last I am no longer the lone voice in the wilderness. The article explains that , as i have been saying for some time, free copies belittles the work we as authors spend in writing our work. if we continue down this route how much longer will it be before the only books read are free ones and then when the industry has collapsed and we have nowhere to go to earn a modest living who will be the winners and looser's? Us no one else.  Unfortunately I appear to have lost the link but if it reappears I will post it so you can all read it as well it was fascinating.

My last point this morning is one of my own stupidity. I like so many others am trying to sell my book. Dead men Lie has a following it has been read and has received some good reviews. But I am attracted to so many sites on Google + Amazon and others where authors congregate. Suddenly I have realised that I don't care what other authors think of my book. I am not worried if some well meaning academic tells me that a comma is in the wrong place or that the inference is wrong when one character speaks to another. What I want is real readers to speak to me and to buy the book. Authors will not drive my book sales only readers will do that. Authors are far too concerned about their own reviews to give honest comments about books, readers will. Which is why over the course of this week I will be drastically reducing the amount of sites I use and culling some of the friends I have those who never respond or comment. What I would like is for your my true friends and readers to spread the word among your own friends that I and Dead Men Lie are different to so many others, we want your opinions even bad ones.          

There you are a new day has dawned and here is an open invitation to anyone able to get to Rye in east Sussex on June the 4th dead men Lie is having a launch party between 2 pm and 6 pm at the town hall. Drop in if you can and share a glass of wine with me and see just what Dead Men Lie is all about.  This will most likely become my platform for future promotion so share it and tell your friends about me. I may sometimes be controversial but I will also be honest. After all I have but one book, at the moment, to promote

No comments:

Post a Comment