Tuesday 18 March 2014

Today's offering

Morning all

I hope you enjoyed my daily rant that I posted yesterday. Like all self publishers frustration boils over occasionally, and with no one else to vent that anger on we have to use the internet to express ourselves.

Therefore here comes today's offering.

 A group I joined offered an exchange of reviews. You know the thing, read my book and review it and I will reciprocate in kind. All good fun and a veritable influx of hopefully good reviews to have posted on Amazon.

Don't fall into the trap, I soon discovered it was for published lovies, to basically slap each other on the back declaring their unending love of all things intellectual while I, as the lone selfie, was to be the sacrificial lamb.

I read some of their work, and while obviously well written and researched every one left me cold for story content. They took so long in getting going I was bored come chapter four or five but I persevered and gave my reviews and guess what Dead Men Lie received not a one.  While they all stated grandly that they had downloaded copies none have, so far as I have seen, bothered reading it while one pompously said she was so busy it was impossible for them to do a full edit for at least a year.

What an insult. Dead Men Lie has been edited, perhaps not to industry standard but there again there were some glaring errors in spelling in their book but did I say as much, nope, yet they, in their pompousness, think I and my team are to be ridiculed.

They have the luxury none of us Indies possess, they have either a well known name, or a selection of books to sell via their time with publishers. We on the other hand, the individual, have to struggle each and every day to get our name known. None of these authors have to stand in a field touting their wares, To watch as hundreds of people pass by and savouring the few book sales we get. These guardians of the literary world have the luxury of time to write, while we, the Indie, spend most of our time looking for outlets, interacting on social sites, attempting to get media attention. My readers are the benchmark of my success, not people who sit in judgement of me after skim reading our books.

Skim reading? I hear you ask. Of course they do, that is how your books are reviewed, you didn't think these people can actually read four books a week and eat and sleep and do everything else we mere mortals have to do. I can't be certain but I would guess they read the first few chapters, skip to the middle section, and perhaps read the end, then check the other reviews your books have received then they cobble something together. Of course if I am wrong than I apologise unreservedly, there are most likely some very dedicated reviewers out there who read each and every word. My complaint is directed at those who can churn their reviews out almost machine like.

 Of course, this sounds like a dissatisfied author throwing his toys out of his pram. That isn't how I wanted it to be perceived, I would simply like some honesty, if you don't want to review my work tell me and I will save my time reviewing work, by people who want it. If Dead Men Lie doesn't appeal to you fine, I can't please everyone, but at least attempt to read it then cast your vote.

 I may not have the most reviews on Amazon but real readers do speak out in favour of the work and that I will continue to cherish. I, unlike others, post both good and bad comments on my website, that way I feel readers get a balanced view of my work. I tried to assist a fellow author once and since then I have barely heard from him, you see honesty isn't what we want is it. Instead of accepting well intentioned advice we all want to hear how good our work is. Well perhaps we should all begin to be honest and say what we think but we won't will we because we all desire those good reviews

Back to the grindstone and you know where I am if you would like to throw some brickbats my way.

Speak soon D



No comments:

Post a Comment