Friday 29 March 2013

Here we are again for another daily dose of my whimsical observations.

Today in answer to another question I will explain how  and where I write.

Every author you ask if they are honest will tell you they have a system that works for them. Some might write in long hand, some might compile copious notes, some might free write others may cogitate and have the story mapped out in their heads before commencing their work. All laudable all note worthy all successful to their own individual writer.

My own style differs vastly but it works for me. before a word is written i have to compile a title. It may not be fantastic, it most definitely rarely ends up being what the reader sees but without that heading I cannot compile the story.

Take Dead men Lie for example right up until the final edit this book was known by its working title Whispers in the Dark. That gave me indirectly the course to steer, it led me in the right direction even though i knew from the outset who the heroine would be and who her protagonist was also. Whispers in the dark though conjured up mystery and intrigue, of secrets not told and deceits unrevealed.

 From that the first chapter came then the story builds. the first draft was a little over 80,000 words so you can see how it built. I always write quickly I don't worry about spelling mistakes grammar or content the story rambles at its own speed. Not until the second rewrite do I take each paragraph and add move and reconstruct. My Editor and mentor will vouch for the fact that my stories change dramatically.

 That is how now for the where. My office is untidy, my daughter keeps threatening to get in there and tidy it up but i know where my notes are in fact I can put my hand to everything ...eventually. I wake early and spent the first hour drinking tea and thinking, making notes then its down to work. i write for no longer than two hours at a time, or 2500 words per session whichever comes first. That is enough for me, after which I take time out but it's never wasted time I am always thinking putting my characters into situations and working out how they would cope. I carry a note book everywhere and make copious notes never throwing anything away you never know when something will be useful.      

 i do not enjoy a pleasant view from the office window no panoramic view to enthuse the creative juices. I live on an estate its not grand nor is it horrible its ordinary in fact that's what I am I am ordinary. I write because i enjoy writing, i hold strong views and unfortunately those views bring me into discourse with many other writers. I do not spend too much time on social sites because that wastes time however i do use them as an outlet because writing by its very nature is a solitary thing.

Time for breakfast and a little research hope my ramblings help you so until the next time good writing my friends.
Dave  

1 comment:

  1. This is a great advise on how to get things started with writing which I ought to share with a friend of mine

    ReplyDelete