Sunday 17 March 2013

 To introduce myself we should start with the basics.

  I am far too old to reveal my real age so lets just say i am fast approaching my golden years. But i do have a talent, I write books, No I am not famous, nor am I rich. I am but a small independent Self Publisher overlooked by main stream publishers because they seem to think my stories are either dull or unworthy for publication. I think the truth is I am not Rich or famous for such people sell where as the likes of us are difficult to merchandise, Oh don't I know the truth of that.

  Writing is the easy part of a book the words pour out to take life at least in my imagination. then my editor in Canada takes over and once she has stopped laughing we begin the tiresome but necessary process of editing. ten rewrites later we can send the manuscript to the printer and the writers duty is done. or it would be if we were doing this in the conventional way but now our work truly begins.

     What do you do with books that no one knows anything about? Advertising is difficult and you soon bore friends and family to death with your tale. In my case finances were short and I walked the streets delivering leaflets, I met many kind people who genuinely appeared interested, and some strange people who I will forget just as easily. The website we cobbled together works a treat, thousands of people have visited in the time it has been live and to them I am truly grateful.

  To those friends in Canada who took this book to their heart and bought it i sat thank you, to everyone else who bought a copy I am truly grateful, to my home town where we were given little help I simply say your loses is the worlds gain. I am asked whether the route i took was difficult and i can in all honesty say YES far more so then i could have imagined. I was brought up in a time when if you had a product to sell you advertised in papers or shops or simply told people what you did. Today the Internet is our shop window and you have to embrace new technology which is difficult for dinosaurs like me.

 So here is the plug. My book Dead men Lie is available through Goodreads, Lulu and Amazon Kindle. My website is davidtprocterbooks.co.uk and here i will be glad to answer any question you care to ask within reason. i am not the font of all knowledge all I can do is share with anyone contemplating what I did, the pitfalls and difficulties they will face from complacency to being denied advertising space.

 is it worth it? Oh yes when that first book is sold, it more than makes up for the hours spent contemplating what you are doing wrong. More over to be able to speak to those who derided your efforts is also gratifying. you can then gloat at those who laughed at your work and looked at you as if you were some sort of loony when you explained to them that you had written a book.

 To anyone thinking of following my recently traveled path remember more are doing this now you are not alone we just have to band together share experiences and we will eventually achieve our goals.
That is what this site is for join in and perhaps we can help each other.      

No comments:

Post a Comment