Monday 15 April 2013

Hello again.

My computer is repaired and I am back. I must say it is good to be back but I was disappointed to see that few had taken a look at my posting of The Ties That Bind. I can only assume you looked and thought "Oh my God he's not publishing that!!!"

Fear not this is but the first draft, as I have said before I work in a manner which possibly sounds strange to some of you. I write as I think that might be a series of disjointed ideas and facts, ramblings with little format but in that first draft I built a picture of where i want the story to go. Then once that is done and it might only amount to 50-60,000 words i go back and begin again. I can not work as some do constantly rewriting chapters as I go to me that is counter productive but if that is how you do it so be it.

  This second rewrite is where I add the structure and the characters I begin to describe in detail what people look like what their environment is like and add depth to the story. My editor sees both editions and laughs at the simplicity of the first draft and cries at the second. (or is that because it is so bad?) Anyway the third forth fifth and sixth rewrites draw all the ideas into place. During this process we move paragraphs around delete what isn't wanted and add new items. Whole chapters might go in this way, as they did while writing Dead Men Lie, there we discarded three entire chapters.

   After we have the story as I think it should be we then start on spelling grammar and punctuation of course the glaringly obvious are amended as we go but this is where the story should begin to look as it will in print.
 
    However during the writing of Dead men Lie we encountered problems most of you will never experience, and I hope you avoid what happened to us. I will not go into the sorry tale in case of litigation but suffice to say I had to buy back the rights to my own stories. Which is why we went to print too early the first edition was bad, printer error at first and some problems in production caused it to be spoiled, the second edition was better but the printer produced a run of books which was missing vital elements. The fourth edition is the one available on Kindle

 Now back to our new book, TTTB is only at the second stage Lisa has read it once and loved the concept, she now has the first 20 odd chapters and is as we speak reading away by the light of her candle. By the time we have finished what is shown on this blog will be nothing like the published edition all we ask is you take a look and tell us if the concept grabs your attention. Do please join us in this process and perhaps in some way you will learn how we work, we do not  admit it is the right way but it's our way and it works for us.


 Even at this early stage Chris has read it and responded positively  (Don't worry about grammar just yet Chris) but i would appreciate some further comments good bad or indifferent. So now it is back to the writing I have seen some postings where writers are producing a book apparently every few weeks good on them I wish I could. Our books seem to take forever as an example from conception to publication I can't do it in anything less than a year, however they do amount to almost 160,000 words Dead Men Lie actually came out at 251,000 at one time but after considerable pruning was more acceptable.

 Do please look in and i await your views with interest.

Dave







No comments:

Post a Comment